Frapin 1270 – My Sweetest Holiday Weakness (Sidonie Lancesseur, 2010)

Scentrack
Serge Gainsbourg – I Want To Feel Crazy
                                                           
Source: Twitter
As I have already declared in By Kilian’s Single Malt review, I’m an aficionado of Sidonie Lancesseur’s works. When I have tried 1270 for the first time I was blown away by an incredible interplay of numerous notes and sweet subtle boozy/gourmand vibe. From that moment 1270 has become my standard for gourmand compositions.
1270 opens with a beautiful blast of pineapple and various dried fruits, plums and orange peel mostly. The honey accord is strong from the beginning. Behind this honey and fruity forefront is the entire olfactory universe of sweet caramel, coffee, burnt hazelnuts, Proustian linden blosson... The woodiness of pale Guaiac and sandal is well hidden, by give the necessary oaky note to the fruity heaven. 1270 is an extraordinary reinterpretation of boozy (Cognac or whisky) theme. It is sweet, but not cloying. A perfect gourmand for the Christmas period of the year, fireplace and warm blanket..
It has occupied my heart and mind in three shots:
Source: findlaterws,ie
Shot No. 1
Ambre Russe was ready to accompany me on the cold, foggy streets of Zagreb, and finally leave the perfume shop. But the perfume Gods have changed the plan. I met 1270 for the first time. Love at first sniff... I was under the spell. The smell of an old town apartment. Winter, cognac, armchair, housecoat. Russian amber just had to wait.
Shot No. 2
A cold, sunny December day. No wind. I’m standing in the black coat with dark sunglasses, drinking coffee and watching the sea moveing like liquid gold. Similar to Tarkovsky's Solyaris. 1270 mixed with the smell of coffee. I sensed the illusion of time. Like an atmosphere of Dubrovnik-born Vojnović's drama "Dusk". The moment of introspection. The quartz purity of mind.
Shot No. 3
Christmas party with my friends in one bar. Happiness is everywhere. 1270 was perfectly melted with alcohol fumes of my glass. Life is good and nose saturated.

Thank you Frapin and Mrs. Lanceusser for releasing such a beauty.

Longevity / Projection
Above average (8-12 hours) / Average

Suggested wearing
Christmas holidays beside the fireplace


Alternatives
By Kilian Single Malt – similar in construction, more orientated towards whisky theme
Thierry Mugler Pure Malt – possesses stronger unidentified fruity notes and peaty base
Frapin Caravelle Epice – has stronger spicy and woody component, but same Frapin’s signature

Pros
Amazing gourmand/boozy fragrance
Incredible interplay of various notes
Great Christmas holiday fragrance
Beautiful bottle

Cons
Too sweet for some
Sillage issues

Rating

10/10

Comments