Amouage Reflection for Men– Pure White (Lucas Sieuzac, 2007)

Scentrack
Larry Heard – Missing You

Reflection is one of the Holy Grails of fragrance community. There are many reviewers out there who labeled this Amouage as a masterpiece. I got my bottle from Dubai in 2013, and I was overwhelmed then, but today I look Reflection for Men in a slightly different way.
Source: Fragrantica
What I like the most about the Reflection is a magnificent opening. Strong shot of piercing neroli. So substantial like a 3D wave, accompanied by a tangy, peppery note that evolves in mild chili and a touch of white flowers. In the background is an herbal note of rosemary that reminds me of my childhood by the sea. This rosemary is not strong, but a crucial note that saves Reflection from dullness. Unfortunately, as the composition progresses, it gradually loses the excitement of unexpected. A very dim, synthetic note of rose and something similar to cumin usher the flowery heart in the focus. The note of powdery and pallid iris, complemented with white flowers takes the game. The combo is not bad, but a little bit monotone, shrunken and more synthetic. The composition evolves eventually in more synthetic and thin base. Overly washed sandalwood, signs of Eastern amber in ppb concentration, cedar with just a touch of Iso E Super like a school wooden crayons. Like the olfactory pyramid is constructed upside down.
From my description one could conclude, I consider Reflection for Men as a bad fragrance.  Don’t get me wrong Reflection is a good fragrance, but not great. In fact, it is not even a fragrance to me, but more like a deconstructed pleasant smell. The people around me absolutely love Reflection. I guess the clean, white vibe with darker micro-amber touch is what most people like. The same funny effect, but on a minor scale I sense in another Lucas Sieuzac’s fragrance – Givenchy Play. They possibly share some part of constructional trick.
Finally, I wear Reflection on a white shirt, but somehow my surrounding enjoys more than me.    
   
Longevity / Projection
Solid (6-8 hours) /Average

Suggested wearing
Daily / Formal / Spring, autumn and summer nights (white shirt recommended)

Alternatives
Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur de Male – similar, but cheaper white bouquet
MFK APOM pour Homme – orange flower bomb
Givenchy Play – just a sharing a small perfumer’s touch

Pros
Beautiful white vibe
Great neroli/spicy introduction
Big compliment getter (women really like it)

Cons
Synthetic characteristics of heart and base
Not overly defined fragrance structure
Too powdery iris for some

Rating

8/10

Comments