Mugler Alien Man – Introverted Extraterrestrial (Jean-Christoph Herault, 2018)

Source: reastars.com


I was really excited to see that Mugler finally launched a masculine version of legendary Alien. I was convinced it would be some crazy masculine jasmine composition. Extroverted and intoxicating. I must confess I was a little bit disappointed after finally checking Alien Man on my skin. Just to clarify, masculine Alien is a solid release, but somehow also a victim of feminine version’s success. It has some interesting aspects, and some courage compared to other designer releases. However, I always expect more from Mugler.
Alien Man starts with some dark, and to my nose syrupy herbal dill/thyme bouquet accompanied by lavender touch. These herbal aspects are smooth and polished, but clearly present. Personally, I am not a fan of dill, but I can tolerate it in this composition. From the very start of the fragrance strong is the unidentified woods with some pale powdery aspects probably due to cashmere wood. As time goes by, vegetal leather and amber become the main players. These accords have some leather and amber aspects, but they are somehow not full blooded and artificial. The whole composition is dusky, sedate and introverted. It is interesting, but not on the first sniff. For “normal” consumers I consider it too peculiar, and for fragheads too timid, shy and safe. Still, I believe it could grow on me during winter. Definitely try this Alien by yourself and hope it will bring you more intergalactic wonders.
    
Longevity / Projection
Solid (6-8 hours) / Average

Suggested wearing
Evening / Fall and Winter

Alternatives
Mugler Cuir Impertinent – more niche take on the leather
Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine – just a slightly similar herbal aspect

Pros
Refined
Some interesting use of notes
Nice bottle

Cons
Relatively safe
Linear
Too peculiar for general audience
Timid

Rating
6.5 / 10

Comments