Yves Saint Laurent L’Homme – Mainstream Blockbuster (Anne Flipo, Pierre Wargnye, Dominique Ropion, 2006)

Scentrack
The Killers – When You Were Young

In 2006 I wasn’t a fraghead like today. As a “normal” consumer I considered L’Homme very nice, original and exciting. L’Homme was an appealing contemporary unisex scent to me. During the time my taste has changed, and L’Homme is not so exciting and original anymore, but I have to admit it is still a great commercial success. Perfumers did a great job with L’Homme.
L’Homme is an easy, likeable fragrance. It is clean, positive, light and inoffensive. L’Homme is a compliment getter from the opposite sex.
Source: Fragrantica
It opens with bright citruses, peppery ginger and to my nose unidentified spices. To me L’Homme has some chamomile tea soft vibe. On my skin cedar becomes very soon the main player. Very pale vetiver note lays beneath a clean cedar and musk. Tonka bean gives just a touch of sweetness, but I have to admit I couldn’t recognize it without a help of Fragrantica’s note breakdown.
The whole composition is extremely well balanced and tweaked. A lot of work is spent to make so approachable. Some may say is too simple and boring, but I consider L’Homme as the great example of a mainstream blockbuster and financial success.
Personally, I’m not anymore into this kind of fragrances, but for a beginner L’Homme is a very good starting point. Unfortunately, current formulation lost some charm of the original formulation.   Most probably I will not buy it again, but I have a great looking limited bottle, designed by Jean Nouvel. YSL L’Homme was my ticket for entering this world of fragrances, and a very nice one.

Longevity / Projection
Average (5-6 hours) / Soft

Suggested wearing
Any daily occasion during spring, summer or autumn

Alternatives
Yves Saint Laurent L’Homme Cologne Gingembre – a ginger version of the original
Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de l’Homme – a darker version
Ulrich Lang Anvers 2 – a niche take on the theme
Source: jeannouveldesign.fr
  
Pros
Clean, easy to wear
Compliment getter
For almost every daily occasion
Great for “regular consumers”

Cons
Performance issues
Too simple for some
Rather highly priced
Pale current formulation




Rating

6/10

Comments