Cheap Thrills Series: Zara Scent No. 1 – Elegant Woods (2018)


Scentrack:
Waters – Trying Hard To Look Inside

Photo by T.D.

Beside perfumery, hiking is another obsession of mine. While hiking I finally get a chance to leave my usual daily routines behind. All my worries are transported somewhere else, and I am concentrating solely on rocky trails, cold wind on my face and majestic nature around me. Special moments when I feel how small I am compared to this grandiose organism.  Simple and dangerous in all its beauty and diversity. Special moments when I have the opportunity to know myself better as well. To look inside my soul squeezed by business and other social demands.
Source: Zara

The beautiful characteristic of all woodsy scents, including Zara Scent No. 1, is an ability to instantly transport me to these introspective moments of being somewhere in the mountains. It could be just some kind of primordial reflexes to go back to the roots, after being exposed to urban insanity. My personal vaccination against the modern world. Scent No. 1 is a classic dry woodsy scent. It burst from woodiness, but in a very elegant manner. It opens with a strong cedar note accompanied by nice soft leather accord. The important perfumer’s trick was to introduce a soft and vivid violet note to give another dimension to this darker woodsy leather combo. The clean cedar note is, to my nose, deepen with a Guaiac wood to give a slight smoky touch to the overall composition. The whole scent is dry with some pale powdery aspects. Although, Scent No. 1 is promoted as a sandalwood-based composition I do not feel the usual sandalwood characteristics. In the fragrance community this composition is often compared to Le Labo’s Santal 33, but unfortunately I have not tried Santal 33 thus cannot make a comparison. Knowing Zara’s constant effort to release niche brand knockoffs I believe there might be some similarities. To me Scent No.1 seems to have some sharing vibes with Comme des Garcon Wonderwood, Canali Style and very similar to Zara Tiveden. The performance of Scent No. 1 is average. Longevity is average, but sillage is very soft.  I do not to be overly harsh to this composition due to its absolute bargain price. For around 11€ Euros Zara delivers a very nicely constructed and elegant scent. In fact, to this date I consider it, in my opinion, as the best scent released by Zara. I would gladly pay three times more for a similar scent with deeper aspects and better performance.
Overall, Scent No. 1 is a solid release from the house of Zara. For a very modest price, one could have an elegant woodsy scent for an escape from urban.

Longevity / Projection
Solid (6-8 hours) / Soft

Suggested wearing
Autumn, spring or winter / Day or night

Alternatives
Zara  Tiveden -  a very similar release, unfortunately already discontinued
Comme des Garcon Wonderwood – similar woodsy and powdery aspects
Canali Style – some similar leather vibe
Carner Barcelona Palo Santo – a touch of Guaiac wood
Le Labo Santal 33 – this connection you should check by yourselves

Pros
Elegant woods
Nicely executed and devoid of usual cheap vibe
Bargain price
Nice bottle

Cons
Linear
Possible performance issues
Possibly already discontinued

Rating
7.5 / 10

Comments