Fragonard Valentin – Sunny Side of the Boulevard (Olivier Pescheux, 2019)

 Scentrack: Sixpence Non The Richer – Kiss Me

 

Fragonard is a well-known fragrance house from Grasse that dates back to 1920s, However, for some reason, it is not very popular in the Fragcom. There is not a lot of talk about Fragonard, reviews are scarce, and even their shop at Blvd Saint Germain in Paris is easily missed. I am glad I finally entered the shop, thanks to my fragrance-wise totally ignorant girlfriend who took me there because a travel guide suggested I have discovered something I have been looking for years.

Source: Fragonard

After spending around half an hour chatting with a very friendly and knowledgeable shopping assistant, I decided to take Valentin home. Valentin was so friendly, optimistic, and quite familiar. Still, I could not pinpoint the composition that Valentin reminded me of. It took me some time before I finally realized Valentin is a take on the old formulation of YSL L’Homme with a touch of Orient. The opening is similar, light citrus accompanied by ginger. While L’Homme possesses a muffled spicy character, Valentin shouts. The ginger is paired with a high dose of cardamom and nutmeg. L’Homme continues to stronger cedar base, while Valentin travels to the East. The more accented Oriental character of Valentin gives another dimension to the composition. The cedar is perfectly paired with a cozy nutty quality of Tonka bean and a touch of vanilla. Wearing Valentin in the Latin Quarter is like magic, and I have not felt so enthusiastic for years. The performance is only average, but for the price one could reapply the fragrance often.

Valentin is a small hidden gem waiting to be discovered, like most of the Fragonard collection and their charming boutique. From now on, whenever I am in Paris, Fragonard is the place to go.

 

Longevity / Projection

Average (5-7 hours) / Average

 

Suggested wearing

Spring or Fall / Daytime or Evening

 

Alternatives

Yves Saint Laurent L’Homme – beautiful sunny creation ruined by reformulation

Trussardi Riffleso – darker take on the similar theme

 

Pros

Optimistic and happy

Easy to wear

Easily likable

Unbelievably priced, practically a steal


Cons

Average performance

 

Rating

7/10

Comments